My mission as the Canadian Health Coach is:
- to translate the scientific, medical and nutritional information into practical everyday tips
- to blend the best of science with the best of nature
- to bridge eastern and western philosophies
- to help people learn how to heal themselves
- to revolutionize health care into self care with a focus on prevention
I have been a physician for over 19 years. As a radiologist in a busy hospital, I observed that at least 70 % of everything that I imaged everyday could be prevented by healthy food and lifestyle choices. I became increasingly frustrated by the endless, needless suffering of preventable disease.
I wanted to scream that “It doesn’t have to be this way!”
As I became more aware, awake and conscious, I was no longer satisfied with being the official photographer of disease and destruction. As Gandhi said “ First be the change, you wish to see in the world”. This led me to clean up my own mind, body and spirit. I vigorously researched medical journals, books and went to amazing workshops to determine what it meant to be truly healthy.
I lost 30 lbs remarkably easy with this new shift in awareness
For the first time, I wasn’t trying to get skinny. I wanted to be healthy and you can’t cheat health. The weight loss was a wonderful bonus. This journey led me to Deepak Chopra as well as the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York and their roster of world renown lecturers.
As a busy doctor and mother of four, my personal weight loss was very helpful in understanding first hand the challenges we face in our journey to healthy weight loss. Once I started though, I felt so great and it was actually easy and fun. I wished that everyone could feel this great and see how easy it can be once you get started with little healthy shifts including a shift in perspective.
My medical background allowed me to discriminate the vast array of information on weight loss and appreciate how critical self care is to health care.
Finally my training with Deepak Chopra and the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and others allowed me to deepen my understanding and provided a framework to be able to guide people to the wonderfully healthy, vital life of their dreams. To teach, to help and to heal- that is my passion and it just doesn’t get any better than that! I am incredibly grateful to have the opportunity to write and speak my passion which leaves me well-nourished.
Why I became the Canadian Health Coach. I became increasingly frustrated with the endless, needless suffering of preventable disease. I know that everyone has within them the innate healing wisdom that they can tap into to live the life of their dreams and achieve their health goals. I love being the beacon to guide others on their path to healthy weight loss.
My Beliefs, Values and Principles
- We all have a purpose in life and a big part of it is to enjoy life, to love and to help others.
- The best way to heal someone is to heal yourself and the best way to help yourself is to help others. We are all connected and in all ways the better I am for myself, the better I am for my family, friends, community, environment and the world. Healthy me = Healthy you. This is why I end my correspondence with “Be Good For You”. The most important and ironically selfless act that you can do for your family is to take care of yourself. Only when you are strong, healthy and happy can you give your best to your family and to the world. Then, in return you receive the best from your family and the world.
- I became a doctor and specialized in radiology. I then had the courage to leave a medical position that I had worked my entire life for in order to pursue my passion for healthy living. I still work as a doctor and radiologist but now in a position that offers a healthy balance for me and my family.
- I have had the pleasure of speaking to over 1500 people in NY on Broadway and to smaller groups in Florida and of course, in Canada.
- I am a Medical Doctor and Canadian and American Board Certified Radiologist. My training and experience has highlighted the need for prevention and has allowed me to critically evaluate the vast array of information on health and nutrition.
- I am a Certified Health Coach. I trained at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York and this has deepened my holistic understanding and provided me with a framework to reach out and coach others to effect permanent healthy transformation.
- I am the current Chair of Public Health Issues for Doctors Manitoba. This position has allowed me to work towards shaking our nation’s salt habit and improving nutrition labelling and access to affordable, healthy food for vulnerable populations. These changes will make it even easier for busy people to achieve healthy weight loss.
More on Me
- I have a wonderful long 17+ year marriage.
- We have four beautiful busy boys ages 7 – 13.
- I am writing my first book.
- I am a hockey mom to my four sons. This keeps me living life in the fast lane and aware of the time challenges that we all face. As a true Canadian, I love the action and excitement of the game.
- I love to scrapbook.
- My favourite hobby is our annual girl’s weekends where I can connect with friends, enjoy great food and laughter and create and relive fun memories.
- I love to dance. This is my favorite form of fun exercise. Hours pass in the blink of an eye. I think if we all held a weekly dance hall, the nation would be a lot healthier and happier.
- Married with children. I am married to a wonderfully, amazing and supportive husband of over 17 years. He makes all of this possible by his solid support. Our four sons help to keep our lives richly abundant in spirit and keep true to our motto of “Never a dull moment”. We can’t forget to mention our best friend Buddy, our yellow Labrador Retriever, who truly lives in the moment.